My life is filled with wonderful encounters!
I meet a lot of CAs(SA) every week. Being in the career advisory space I often encounter clients who are stuck – they just don’t quite know which way to go.
Using a few searching and hard-hitting questions it becomes apparent that usually they are avoiding that one thing that needs to be done.
What do you think you are being called out to do right now?
So I ask them – what is the one thing you are avoiding that can break you through to the next level?
Now I’m not talking about tidying your office draws or cleaning out your brief case. I’m referring to the big stuff – the risky stuff.
So what would that be for you right now? What are you pretending not to know?
If you poke around you’ll find it.
Here are some suggestions:
- Confront that staff member that is coming in lateevery day.
- Tackling your bosson something he did that was not okay!
- Facing that colleaguewho always takes pot-shots at you in meetings
- Standing up toaudit manager who is too big for his boots
- Handling the CEO’s secretary who treats you like a child
- Dealing with the grumpy old warehouse manager who always makes you feel inferior
- Starting that presentation at Excothat you have been wanting to do but have been avoiding
- Doing that report you could writethat would highlight valuable changes
We all have our own unique issues that we need to break through to get to the next level.
By not taking action now, you land up accusing yourself of being ineffective.
This does not do much to nourish confidence levels. And there is always that other person who looks like they can handle anything and make you feel ‘shown up’.
It is this mind-set that really gets in the way of personal development.
You can pretend that no one notices.
But here is the bad news. . . . your boss notices.
So in 2016 what’s it going to be?
. . . . . stepping up or stepping away?